A. Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) shall be approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), under 42 CFR, Part 84 for chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear protection (CBRN) with 30-, 45-, 60-minute-rated service life cylinder options and compliant with all requirements of the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) 2018 Edition of NFPA-1981 Standard on Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus.
B. Units equipped with integrated PASS device must meet requirements of NFPA 1982, 2018 edition.
C. Units equipped with emergency egress system shall also comply with NFPA 1983 Standard on Fire Service Life Safety Rope and System Components, 2017 Edition; Type: Escape.
D. Units equipped with a radio transmitter must meet minimum requirements for FCC part 15 and part 90.
II. SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
A. Face Piece
1. The face piece shall be designed so that no exhaled air enters the Mask-Mounted Regulator (MMR).
2. The face piece shall not contain electronic components.
3. The face piece shall have a field of view of 80% without attached component(s).
4. The face piece shall be available in three sizes (small, medium & large).
5. The face piece shall be have a nose cup available in three sizes (small, medium, & large).
6. The face piece shall have a fabric neck strap to carry the face piece in a quick donning position.
7. The facepiece shall have a RFID chip for asset and maintenance tracking.
B. Mask-Mounted Regulator
1. The regulator release shall stop airflow and release the regulator from the face piece when removing the regulator.
2. The regulator shall be equipped with a variable flow bypass.
3. The regulator shall not require any additional mechanical actions to provide air once engaged to the face piece.
4. The regulator shall have a RFID chip for asset and maintenance tracking.
C. Heads-Up-Display (HUD)
1. The HUD system shall provide the user with remaining cylinder air volume, available in four increments through a series of four colored LEDs easily seen inside the facepiece when the MMR is engaged with the face piece.
D. Universal Air Connection (UAC)
1. The system shall be capable of:
a) Refill within immediately dangerous to life or health (IDLH) atmospheres.
b) Trans-filling between two SCBA’s (connection allows for donation and receipt of air), providing Emergency Breathing System while maintain NIOSH approvals.
c) Quick refill (approximately one-minute duration) of SCBA cylinder from mobile compressor, cascade system, or RIT pack.
d) Extending wearer’s air supply over longer duration when remote cascade system or other compressed gas source is located within remote area.
2. The UAC shall be illuminated when supply pressure reaches Low-Pressure Warning Alarm.
3. The UAC must have the option of an additional mounting location to improve ease of use by the wearer.
E. Pressure Reducer (1st Stage Regulator) with Primary Low-Pressure Warning Device
1. The pressure reducer reduces cylinder pressure to outlet pressure, which shall not exceed 115psi; outlet pressure must be adjustable.
2. The pressure reducer shall have flow capacity of 700 liters per minute at full pressure.
3. The pressure reducer shall have no more than 42 individual regulator replacement parts.
4. The pressure reducer shall not require special tools for disassembly.
5. The Primary Low-Pressure Warning Device shall be an air-actuated, audible warning alarm, automatically alarming when the supply cylinder operating pressure reaches approximately 35% of rated service life.
1. They cylinder valve shall have incorporated flow control insert to limit airflow over hand wheel’s first half-rotation, minimizing propulsion thrust in the event that the cylinder is mishandled.
2. The cylinder valve shall incorporate CGA thread that can be converted to quick-connect cylinder without special tools.
G. PASS Device
1. All electrical requirements of the SCBA, HUD, & Amplifier shall be provided by a single battery module powered by six C-cell batteries or one lithium-ion rechargeable battery.
2. The control module shall have analog and digital display for added redundancy.
3. The PASS device shall be designed for battery-level check and removal of batteries while the SCBA remains in the jump seat.
4. The PASS device control shall automatically back-light the display.
5. The PASS device shall have a time-remaining display, percentage of air remaining display or equivalent.
6. The PASS device and power unit shall have a RFID chip for asset maintenance tracking.
1. The speaker shall provide amplified speech.
2. The speaker shall provide 70 dBa output, at a minimum.
3. Every facepiece shall have voice amplification capability while engaged with the SCBA without the need to change or exchange parts.
I. Carrier & Harness
1. The harness shall have separate left and right shoulder straps.
2. The shoulder straps shall have localized friction pad to discourage slippage.
3. The harness shall have an optional chest strap.
4. The back plate side handles shall capable of 500 lbs. of force.
5. The back plate top handle shall be capable of 1000 lbs. of force.
6. The waist straps shall be double pull, forward design.
7. The regulator keeper shall allow regulator to be connected at any angle.
J. Emergency Escape Breathing Support System
1. As option, at the time of purchase or as an addition in the future emergency escape breathing support system must be accommodated by SCBA.
2. System must be available with common SCBA quick-disconnect fitting.
3. System shall connect to intermediate pressure side of SCBA, downstream of first stage regulator.
4. System shall have both male and female connections.
5. System shall have universal (Rectus) fitting.
1. All electronics and pneumatics must have at least a 15-year warranty.
L. Local Account Manager & Factory Service
1. The submitting company must be a factory authorized warranty and service center. The company must also offer mobile service administered by factory authorized service technicians.